Friday, August 14, 2009

The Bump on the Back of My Head

No, I do not have a concussion. But I do have a sort of a problem, I suppose.

My two oldest daughters, Jenna and Lauren, are not around as much as they used to be. And...I am anticipating they soon will be around less as they are ready to go off and live their own lives, away from their Mommy. They are good girls. They do things like take their younger siblings school shopping, among many other wonderful things.

They also make sure I don't embarrass myself when I walk out of the house.

They introduced me to the beauty of hair straighteners. I was born in the 60's w/ 80's hair. I wake up in the morning looking like Sheba, the jungle woman. The hair straightener in the downstairs bathroom takes me from barbarian to civilian.

Not embarrassing myself in public with my appearance is way less important to me than it should be. I often feel as though I'm in a mad race with the clock from the second I bolt from bed at 7:00 am, 'til I collapse around 1:00 am. My top priorities are too numerous to list here, but my coif doesn't rate. My lovely daughters amplify the voice of reason that says I shouldn't be frightening people at the grocery store.

So, I try to look presentable - stoke the straightener and run it through the tangles. Except I always miss the back of my head. What does it matter to me - I can't see it? If it disturbs someone who is staring at me from behind, sah-ha-rreeee!!!! Won't make me lose sleep. Enter again, pre-mentioned lovely eldest daughters. With a smile, a gentle hand on my shoulder and a determined look, one of them will steal behind me and effortlessly burn the waviness into submission.

Soon, my hair and I will be on our own again - until Becca and Courtney are old enough to care and tall enough to reach!

No comments:

Post a Comment