Saturday, August 8, 2009

HOT Date

I took the day off from work yesterday, and went on a date with my boyfriend/husband. We haven't been able to do much dating. Children are wonderful and jobs are necessary, but both can get in the way of romance from time to time, if you're not careful.

First, we went up to the LDSBA (Latter-day Saint Bookseller's Association) convention in Sandy. It was good to see some old friends. I say the term "friends" very loosely - I should say "Randy's old friends." It doesn't matter that I've been attending these with him for the last 18 years - practically everyone squints at my name tag, looks to Randy to make sure our last names match and then they stick their hands out awkwardly and introduce themselves to me.

I must make quite an impression on people!

Rember shrinky-dinks??? I LOVED those when I was a kid! You would start with a big piece of plastic - you'd color it with sharpie markers, stick it in the oven on a cookie sheet, and it would writhe torturously (I always imagined silent screaming) until settling itself into a shrunken form. This is pretty much what has happened to the LDS book industry. (Complete with the writhing and silent screaming.) It used to take at least 4 hours to walk through the convention floor thoroughly - and at least 3 days to visit with everyone if Randy was placing orders. Yesterday, we made the initial walk through in 30 minutes. SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD! (I have my theories on why this has come to be - I will keep them to myself!)

Still, we were able to walk around, holding hands and eating homemade caramels, banana Laffy Taffy and chocolate mints (most of the booths offer bowls of goodies!) - so it wasn't all bad!

Next, we went to lunch. When you are actually dating, and you go out to eat, you flirt with each other. When you are "married dating", you discuss the children. Hmmmm. Oh well - no use in wondering why - it's just what you do! Luckily we had only happy things to talk about. We have reason to be very happy with and for our children right now. We did delve into jobs and bills a little - which are subjects that are not as fun - but this did not last too long as this was a day to enjoy each other and icky reality could wait for another day!

While driving home, Randy decided we should see a movie. Wow - I can't even remember the last time we went to a movie without the kids! We were hoping to see Star Trek - but it wasn't playing anymore. We had seen the latest Harry Potter, didn't want to see Aliens in the Attic or any of the several other "R" rated options. This left us with 2 choices. G.I. Joe, or Julie & Julia. I really didn't care - so I left Randy to decide and bolted for the bathroom - too much ice water with lemon at Red Robin!

When I met Randy in the lobby he had tickets for...........Julie & Julia!!!! He picked the chick flick over the action movie! Melt my heart!

It was a GREAT movie. I grew up watching Julia Child's cooking shows on PBS w/ my mom and Meryl Streep's played her, like she WAS her. Marriage was portrayed so well - I LOVED it - I love it when marital sex is celebrated! It should be - it's the best kind! It was uplifting and fun and Randy and I laughed all the way through it - and we REALLY needed to laugh. Haven't done much of that lately.

The next phase of our date was........grocery shopping!!!! Then Jenna brought Taco Bell and Red Box home, (yahoo for Jenna!) so we ate while watching Coraline with Becca and Courtney. Randy snuck away for a little while to finish up a school assignment. Then, story time with Courtney and the official end of the day. I didn't even wait up for Lauren, Phillip and Nick, like I normally do. All in all - a GREAT day of dating!

Feeling lucky right now, to be so in love w/ my hubby!

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, I'm a blog stalker and I love comments. Eventually I'll get around to reading all your past posts. Today I enjoyed your current one and the letter to Mike. It's taking me back to the Friday Feature days. Hmmm.

    I love your family. It was so great to see you & them last night!!

    Feel free to check in on our blog anytime: http://johnandmichellelloyd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete