Saturday, August 29, 2009

With Blessings Unmeasured, My Cup Runneth O'er

I was going to title this blog - Elder Phillip, Part 2. But there's so much more I need to cover. The blessings of the previous week are too numerous. A week ago, we went to Temple Square in Salt Lake City. We attended "Music and the Spoken Word", which was lovely. The Tabernacle Choir sang "The Lord is My Shepherd" with a beautiful arrangement I'd never heard before.

We were celebrating, because Phillip was being ordained later that day. To attend any Tabernacle Choir performance, you must be at least 8 years old. So, when we go, someone always has to stay out with the current Varney youngster. It is actually a coveted position, as said person, gets to wander around Temple Square unfettered by the rest of the Varney clan.

Since it may have been the last time we were up there for Music and the Spoken Word, before Phillip goes on his mission, he received the designation. He took this picture of Courtney at the Christus statue in the North Visitor's Center. He said he turned around and she had randomly clasped her hands in silent prayer. So sweet.


We met up with them again afterwards, and had to all trek back to the North Visitor's Center to see the Christus statue again - because, hey - it's tradition! Jeremy and Mike were with us. I love this picture! In it I have my Savior, my husband, the sons I gave birth to and the sons I'm getting because my daughters have the good sense to be marrying them! That's right! Lauren and Jeremy are now officially engaged!

But, I am getting ahead of myself! After wandering around Temple Square a little more, we went up to my Aunt Elfriede's house in Holladay. It's actually the house my Grossmutti and Grossatti built.
Arnold Friberg was my Grossatti's friend, and painted "God bless this house and the people going in and out.", in German, as a trade for some landscaping. Before my mother died, she would touch up the paint from time-to-time. It's beautiful to me...

We had a wonderful brunch with Elfriede, my cousin Cherie and her kids, my Aunt Ruthi and her fiancee, Tom. We were able to walk around the house and relive a few memories. My favorite was the small amphitheater where I used to stage plays with my cousins.

Next, it was home for Phillip's ordination. We were joined by Phillip's friend Melissa and Angie Kremnev and her kids, Nik and Anna.

Phillip's ordination was beautiful; Randy's blessing was poignant and the Spirit was very strong. Phillip is a man, now. Wow! We had a fun BBQ. The day was over.

Tuesday evening, Jeremy traded Randy a 2 liter bottle of Coke, for Lauren. Well, not really, but it makes for a good story!

Thursday he proposed to her at Amber's house (yay for Amber!) and she took some lovely pictures of them! Here's one. Aren't they adorable???
To say I feel blessed doesn't even begin to cover it! I need to write a whole nuther blog about all the feelings I'm trying to juggle. However, it's late and my brain is getting jumbley.

Just so He knows - "Thanks Heavenly Father....it's been a great week!"









2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, as usual! We are so thankful for you and your family! More good times ahead!

    ReplyDelete