Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Another Tuesday Afternoon in the Lion's Club - OR - Everyone Should Take A Dance Class From Kristen

Okay - I'm sitting, in the office at the Lion's club where we hold CSYP and Broadway Bound rehearsals, and currently, summer workshops. I have a handy-dandy little air card, so graciously provided by CSYP, which makes it possible for me to work while creating the illusion that a responsible adult is overseeing various administrative affairs. (Wonder if I'm pulling that off?)

Right now, as the work day has officially ended, I'm working on my blog while watching a dance class with 5 adorable little girls (my 10-year old daughter, Becca included). An hour ago, I was watching another class of older adorable girls - and my 15-year old son Nick.

There's a funny thing about youth theater - when I'm acting in my capacity as a producer I truly love all the kids. I'm sure people assume my kids get preferential treatment, but my children know better. Lauren said something funny the other day. She's dating our CSYP Musical Director - who just so happens to be her director for "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" at the Scera Shell this summer, in Orem. She said,

"People just don't get it Mom, they think they can get special favors from Jeremy if they ask me to talk with him. Being the Director's girlfriend is just like being a Producer's kid - you have to behave better and work harder than everyone else and set a good example."

Did this statement make me happy! Duh! The things you say over and over again do sink in!!!

In loving the kids at CSYP, I love watching what they learn. Kristen is teaching choreography right now - many jazz squares! But she's teaching something so much more important. Some of the girls have better technique with the jazz squares than others - but they all are learning that if they work really hard they will create something to be proud of.

One of our older students posted on her FB status a week or so ago, that she didn't think she was very good at dancing. This made me so sad. She was only looking at what she couldn't do quite yet. I've been watching her for weeks and I can see how much she has improved and know she will continue to improve as long as she doesn't give up.

I often get discouraged at all the things I'm not good at yet. The list is so freakin' long. Oddly enough, the older I get the longer the list gets! Why is that!!!

Still, I'm sitting here, watching the little girls. They'll grow into women in a blink. I hope they'll always remember what Kristen is teaching them. (Jazz squares included. This is a skill that can come in handy, right?) If they never forget, they'll go so far with so much less self doubt. If you're empowered to continually work for self-improvement there's so much less to berate yourself over.

You're a great teacher Kristen - hope you know you're making a difference! Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment