Friday, July 31, 2009

Go Go Go Varneys

I just got back from watching Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the Scera Shell - it opened tonight. Nick played Benjamin, Phillip played Gad and Lauren was in the ensemble.

My good friends Tamela, Kristen and Corinne, from CSYP, were in the show as well. It was so fun to see them all and so strange to not be back stage, shooting off the confetti cannon! It was also great to see all the new friends I hear so much about from my kids - Amber, Chris, Doug, Josh, Jim (Grandpa), Jamie, etc. And man, Shawn is an AWESOME choreographer! Jeremy directed - and oh my heck, could I love that boy any more than I already do? Apparently, YES! I love the Spirit he invited to the show through his direction. My philosophy is if the Spirit gives His stamp of approval to something, it
must be really good. And I could tell He REALLY liked it!



Lauren is a beautiful dancer. When she's onstage I have a hard time taking my eyes off her. No one would even guess from watching her, that she's never taken dance lessons. She's done stuff w/ CSYP and did a dance class for UVU, but that's it. She's a natural talent. She just glows and she's so graceful - her gift is something she brought with her and I'm glad she's working to improve it while she's here on earth.


Nick puts every ounce of his being into everything he does. I love to watch him onstage, too. It always bugs me when someone references the giving of 110%. This is not possible! However, if it really were possible to give that much, Nick would be the one to do it! He wasn't going to audition for Joseph, but was talked into it at the midnight premier of the newest Terminator movie from earlier this summer. He's made such great friends - most of them twice his age - but it's all good! We weren't able to take our annual summer trip to Disneyland and the beach this year - and even so, I know Nick will remember this summer as the best of his life.

Phillip is a real leader in our family. He's the one who led us into community youth theater, which literally changed our lives for the better. He is a great example - a great young man on his way to becoming a great man. He really struggled with the decision to do this play, in the face of getting ready for college and a mission. I'm glad he followed the promptings he got. I love watching several things about Phillip onstage - his facial expression and his dancing! He makes the greatest faces - honestly. He expresses so much, so well ,with the wink of an eye or a raised eyebrow. I love his dancing because he's worked so very hard to become a good dancer. His abilities are a testament to his work ethic. Way to go, buddy!

Tonight, Jenna and Mike were with us and my aunts Ruthi and Elfriede came, along with my cousin Cherie and her two kids. It was fun to have them chat with Jenna about her upcoming wedding and spend some more time with Mike, whom they've met before and REALLY like.
During intermission, Ruthi and Elfriede came over with me to visit a little with Jeremy, who was sitting behind us. They were very complementary of the performance and Jeremy even blushed a little. At one point, I looked up and there was a space between them and I could feel my Mom standing between them - the three Balmer girls checking out Lauren's beau. Luckily, the show started up before I lost it. It was an exquisite moment - but it was fleeting - as most exquisite moments are.

Tonight - we were a happy family. Jenna was happy with Mike and the future that lies before them. Lauren, Phillip and Nick were happy sharing their talents with their true, good friends. Courtney and Becca were happy because they usually are! Randy an
d I were happy because our children were happy.

Does this mean we live vicariously through our kids? Maybe. But what about Heavenly Father, when He says, "This is My work and My glory, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."? Is He living vicariously? I don't think so - pretty sure He's had plenty of His own excitement! I just think there's nothing better or more fulfilling than watching your children choose good paths.

I'm sure there are bumps ahead, there ALWAYS are. But -

"Go, go, go Varneys you know what they say - Hang on now Varneys you'll make it some day..."

If we keep trying, maybe we will!

No comments:

Post a Comment