I have 2 quotes taped to the computer on my desk at home. Today I want to share one of them.
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his/her fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed and redeemed; never throw out anyone.
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.
As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others.
Audry Hepburn
I see this every day and love it. Most of it makes me smile, but part of it....hurts. I figure if I keep looking at it every day, perhaps one day I will work through the hurty part and it will all make me happy!
First of all, let me speak to the happy parts! I love that Audry Hepburn's beauty secrets are all about kindness, service, spending happy time with children, and a having a relationship with God. She was most definitely BEAUTIFUL, but mostly, to me, because she was so lovely inside. I know lots of really ugly people, who happen to be good looking.
I love too, the bit at the end about our two hands - and their purpose. I can totally buy all of that.
It's the middle that gets me...the part about people.
Randy and I have been thrown out, you see. Both of our families decided we weren't worth having around and they disowned us. The details are icky and in reality, unimportant. The decisions were made and the repercussions are sad and eternal. Our children had nothing to do with the decision my father and Randy's parents made - and yet they have been wounded, too.
It does something to you inside, when the people who are supposed to love you forever, don't. Especially, when it's your parents. If you can be rejected by the people who brought you into the world, well then.....
On the flip side, we are lucky to have a Heavenly Father who loves us - never rejects us and blesses us in a myriad of ways. So - both earthly fathers were complete duds, but we still have One who is really great! :o)
The thing about Audry's quote (the people part) that is most painful to me when I read it, is how easy it is for me to throw people away. It is fairly easy for me to discern someone's character, quickly. I can see danger signs in behaviors and often successfully forecast future calamities. I have used this as an excuse to dismiss people - just write them off. This is NOT justifiable.
My Savior, who knows my heart, my weaknesses and my failings, still bore the pain and anguish of every one of my sins (even the ones I haven't committed yet) in the Garden of Gethsemane that night. He didn't write me off or send me away, and I'm sure He can clearly see the pain I will still cause Him down the road. I read Audry's quote every day because she's talking about being like Jesus Christ, and I have a long way to go to get there. (But I'll keep trying...baby steps - right?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment